Come and Gone

December 28, 2007

The stress of the season can take an exhaustive toll on anyone, myself included. With work and nightly holiday events associated with work making for super long days in the weeks leading up to Christmas, my feeling of running on empty was only worsened by my struggle to get over yet another sinus cold (surprise surprise) and an eye infection. Luckily the thought of coming home gave me the positive energy boost I needed to get through a rough couple of weeks.

After an expectedly delayed (and surprisingly not cancelled) flight from New York to Toronto, and my just barely making my connecting flight back to Alberta, I finally arrived in Calgary safe, sound and sick-free early Saturday morning to the familiar and comfortable aspects of home, ready for a week to unwind with family and friends whom I've missed so dearly. Not to mention play with the newest members of the Pecush clan, Macy and Roca. Unfortunately my grand plans for the whole week I'd be back took a spot on the back-burner when just one day into my Christmas vacation I came down with the stomach flu. Man, talk about bad luck... as if I hadn't been sick enough these past four months.

So... the gingerbread houses, the caroling at the piano, ice-skating in the park, the Christmas puzzles, and the neighborhood walks checking out Christmas lights and blown-up Santa's on the porch all had to be put on hold while I hibernated for most of the week. Even my long-planned trip up to Edmonton to see some truly great friends had to be cancelled. Being able to escape a city where time waits for no-one, I wish my time at home would've slowed down just a bit, lasted a little while longer and allowed me to be in better health so I could fully enjoy the great company of the people around me. Unfortunately you can't get everything you wish for at Christmas time.

I'm heading back to New York first thing tomorrow morning, the first day of the long downhill run of my internship. Wow, crazy to think about, how I'm already halfway through my placement, which has been such an amazing, enjoyable but sometimes taxing experience thus far. But I'm going back with an eager outlook, anxious to find out what the new year will bring, where it will take me (or possibly keep me), and what other exciting adventures I may find myself doing. At least it will start off with a bang. Despite my dislike for crowds, I'll be ringing in the new year with hundreds of thousands of other revelers in The Crossroads of the World... anticipating the New Year's Eve ball drop in Times Square with my sister and good friend from university. Watch for us on Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve. We'll be the Canadians wearing those funky 2008 glasses waving to the camera!

Happy New Year Everyone! Wishing you all health, happiness and joy in 2008!


Macy and Roca wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year too!

I just love my parents' new puppies!

No comments: