Surely Coming to a City Near You...

January 12, 2008

On a daily basis, you see some of the most random things take place in a subway car. Not to mention hear some of the most... I don't know... 'interesting' conversations commuters have with each other, or simply with themselves. Every ride is unpredictable; every subway stop an opportunity for the ride to become more or less bearable.

Absolutely anything goes in this city, which is perhaps one of the first things I came to learn and accept, particularly in my adjustment to the public transporation system. Native New Yorker's I'm sure have seen it all, hence why nothing ever seems to phase them in the underground jungle. Even today of all days, when subway riders surely got some added 'eye value' to the cost of their MetroCard, it was business as usual for most passengers on the uptown 6 train, iPods plugged in, eyes straight ahead, pretending to mind one's own business.

I couldn't help but stare, and even bite my lip to hold back a chuckle or two when I exchanged glances with obvious tourists who were completely taken back. It's not every day that the person sitting across from you on a crowded train will sporadically decide to undress. I'm not talking slipping off a winter coat because the train is slightly warm due to overcrowding... I'm talking nonchalantly removing one's pants, stuffing them into whatever bag they had been carrying at the time, and disembarking the train in their boxers, with all other clothing articles on their body fully intact. Oh, and it wasn't just one person, there were hundreds, both on the train and on the boarding platform... just standing or sitting, oblivious to the stares, undaunted by the fact that they were out in public in their underwear.

Today was the 7th Annual No Pants Subway Ride Day in New York City, where nearly 900 participants decided to willingly drop their drawers in an effort to cause scenes of comedic chaos in public places, and did they ever! When asked why they weren't wearing any pants, they all had a different story to convince fellow fully clothed travellers that this was nothing out of the ordinary. This city no doubt caters to some of the bravest, craziest and fearless people, who will definitely make my future daily commutes all that more unpredictable and interesting.


Forget anything??

(http://www.improveverywhere.com/)

No comments: