Feelin' the Burn

April 26, 2008

The best thing about living in New York is the endless opportunity to see some of the world's finest talent. I've been able to take in a good dose of Broadway plays and musicals in the past while, and time after time, I continue to be in absolute awe of the calibre of talent that is being presented live on stage. Virtuoso's at the forefront of their respective crafts, if you will, thrilling and stunning audiences night after night.

I'll rarely pass up a free ticket, even if it's a ticket to a concert featuring a world-class group of musicians that I had not previously heard of. This past Thursday, myself and fellow Turtle Julie, attended Bowfire - The Total String Experience at the historic Beacon Theatre in Manhattan's Upper West Side. A leading venue for top rock concerts, having seen headlining acts like Bob Dylan, Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones rock the stage over the years, Julie and I had little idea as to what we were in for.

Bowfire is composed of ten exceptionally gifted fiddle and violin musicians that sure know how to create a high quality music experience. Taking the audience on a musical journey of Jazz, Classical, Bluegrass, Celtic and Rock, combined with impressively entertaining step and tap dancing (did I mention they were multi-talented musicians who effortlessly fiddled and tapped at the same time?), made for one smokin' hot evening of entertainment. By the end of the night, the chosen venue could not have been more appropriate... Bowfire rocked out a wicked rendition of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir for their encore performance.

Chewing on spicy cinnamon gum (an apt choice of flavor to keep with our firey themed evening, not to mention our über-spicy Thai food prior to the concert) may have failed to keep our jaws from dropping to the floor throughout the concert, but the newly fueled inspiration we both left the concert with, gave us the fabulous idea to create our own spectacular high-energy stage show. Picture this... dueling-pianos, a spinning stage, with pyrotechnics and laser lights ablaze. The name? Fingerfire, but of course.


No comments: