August 27, 2007
This morning I boarded the train to embark on what will likely be one of the most life changing experiences of my life. For those of you that don’t know, I’m on my way to New York City... quite possibly the greatest city in the world; a city rich in culture, ethnicity, diversity, art and entertainment. From the time I first visited The Big Apple in the summer of 2004, I couldn’t help but succumb myself to the unbelievably magnetic energy and electrifying excitement that the city offers. The moment I returned home from my amazing, yet exhausting time exploring the many diverse neighbourhoods and boroughs that combine to form New York City, I made a promise to myself that one day, some day, some how, I would make it back there... not just to visit, but to absorb the city to its fullest by challenging myself to live, work, and survive the New York pace of life and state of mind.
My parents can attest to the fact that I did not stop talking about how much I loved New York for at least a year following my visit. Even my sister was surprised this morning when I pulled out a used NYC Subway MetroCard from 2004 that I’ve kept in my wallet for 3 years... I suppose a reminder to myself that a little hard work, well... maybe a lot of hard work, determination and a few tears along the way, will get you to where you really want to go.
I’ll be away for 9 months, working as a Marketing and Communications Intern at the Turtle Bay Music School in Midtown Manhattan... an opportunity that I’ve been wanting to pursue since I convocated last spring, to propel my career aspirations in the area of Arts Marketing. During the convocation, U of A President Indira Samarasekera encouraged us, recent graduates, to do all we can, when the opportunity presents itself, to experience a new culture, meet new people, encounter new environments, create new discoveries and make connections with others whom you normally wouldn’t have the opportunity to meet. I held onto these words and will soon be applying them in a manner unlike I have ever before.
I’d love to have you join me as I share my exciting journey through a series of blog entries and photos. Feel free to leave comments and keep me in the loop as well with events happening back home.
And so... the adventure begins...

1 comment:
Wow Pam! Good for you. That sounds so exciting. It has been some time since we've chatted, or even seen eachother, but I am also in Marketing. I have been working for an oil & gas company in Edmonton for about 2 years now. A long way from jet-setting to NYC, that's for sure!
I love your blog, and intend on reading it as frequently as I can. I've always wanted to visit NY, so keep the stories and pictures coming.
Congratulations on taking such an enormous step in this whirlwind we call life - you only get one!
Best of luck.
Carolyn Coulter
Post a Comment