Hopefully Just This Once...

August 30, 2007

Although New York is very much a walking city, the Subway can be considered to be most commuters' main form of transportation. Being the most extensive public transportation system in the world, with over 450 passenger stations, and over 5 million riders a day, it's a little overwhelming to say the least, to figure out how to get from point A to point B. I have to admit I'm a little rusty when it comes to knowing which train to get on... 3 years ago however, I gracefully hopped from one train to the next, directing my family from one tourist attraction to another, only to get lost once! (mind you, getting lost in The Bronx on the way to a Yankees game probably wasn't the best choice in location to do so...)

So now, as I determine whether or not I need to go Uptown, Downtown or Crosstown, which colour of line, which letter or number of train I should board, whether it's Express or Local, and if and when I need to make a transfer, I find myself desperately wanting to pull out my huge map in the middle of the boarding platform and trace out my travel plan! But, considering how I don't want to make myself look any more like a transplanted western Canadian, I just have to suck it up when I get on the wrong train... much like I did this afternoon.

Blue line, no transfers, travel directly Uptown from 42 St. to 86 St. Sounds simple enough. How on earth I got on an orange 'Express' line, I'm not too sure. It was going Uptown however, which was the one part I got right... but definitely no stop at 86 St. By the time the train FINALLY stopped, I was in the heart of Harlem... yes at 145 St... far too Uptown than I would prefer to venture to on my own! Needless to say, I hopped back on a Downtown train, not gracefully though this time, and safely arrived back at my originally planned destination, though a little later than anticipated. Looks like I need to do a little more studying of my Subway map before I jump on to any other trains... either that or I need to invest in a more comfortable pair of walking shoes.

Entry to the Subway
Down on the Boarding Platform

NYC Subway Map

No comments: