There once was a time, that on any given day, I'd be able to pull an empty sandwich bag out of my pocket... actually, every pocket of every jacket and pair of pants I owned. I also had ample supply of Windex, paper towels and stacks of unread newspaper on hand in the event that certain 'business' matters just couldn't wait.
It's been quite some time since I've had the added responsibility of caring for a pet... and I've quickly realized just how much extra time and energy it takes to do so! With my roommate away for two weeks and not having her usual dog-sitter available, I excitingly volunteered my 'don't-be-silly-I-can-handle-it-piece-of-cake' efforts to look after her precious Nina. Up until the time the two of us were left alone to fend for one another, Nina and I were simply acquaintances. I'd see her when I woke up, and again when I got home from work, occasionally patting her on the head, but that was the extent of our relationship. I'm certain she saw me as a foreign stranger (which I am) worthy only of a blank stare and bark upon my entrance through the front door.
My latest experiences in walking a dog literally involved dragging my babylove Shih Tzu, Caesar, along the sidewalk, taking a good half an hour to get from the front of my apartment building to the back. How stubborn he became in his old age, having absolutely no interest or desire in going for walks, but being oh-so-cute nonetheless! Most recently, Nina has been the one taking me for walks... dragging me along the concrete with her incredible degree of nervous energy. If there is one dog that should live anywhere but New York City, Nina is it. Panic-striken at the slightest glance of a jogger or the sound of a cyclist passing by, she leaps, barks, and yelps all the while completely tangling herself up in the leash. A simple walk around the block is exhausting for her, simply because of the energy she exudes being so unbelievably conscious of her chaotic surroundings. In this concentrated and bustling city, it's no wonder Nina is uneasy, scared and stressed... I know because I've experienced this too.
How relationships can change over such a short period of time. Having recognized and finally accepting me as her temporary caregiver, yogurt and kibble mixer-upper, and personal pooper-scooper, Nina and I are now one another's best company. In a city that can be very lonely despite people being everywhere you turn, I'm lucky to have Nina around to brighten up my day (despite her embarassing temper tantrums on the street). She is constantly following me around, forever sitting beside me with her snout on my lap and has become the best possible foot warmer I could ask for as I catch my nightly zzz's.
Who's this now circling at my feet? What's this plastic in my jacket pocket? Oh yes, I have some responsibility to attend to, and quickly... Nina is really starting to pace which can't be ignored. I'm not at all stocked up on the aforementioned items... although I wish I was. Cleaning up 'business' inside at times seems a little more appealing than what I'm in for every time I step out my front door with Nina.
Completely wiped after a frantic walk
Her charming good looks sure can be deceiving!
New best friends...

No comments:
Post a Comment