Turkey Day Celebration

November 22, 2007

Two Thanksgivings down, still no turkey. At least a yummy Christmas dinner is just 4 Mondays away and weeklong leftovers of turkey sandwiches, soup and casseroles follow close by. So on this (lack of) Turkey Day in New York, I opted for a 5 a.m. wake-up call rather than a very tempting opportunity to sleep 'til noon on my first American Thanksgiving holiday. But, apparently 5 a.m. just wasn't early enough... considering the hordes of people lining the street when I arrived on the parade route close to 3 hours before the Macy's parade was set to begin, I'm thinking most of them probably never went home last night after they took in the Big Balloon Blow Up.

As the official kick-off event for the holiday season, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade drew a crowd of millions on this unseasonably warm November day, where temps soared close to 20 degrees Celsius. Marching bands, performance groups, floats and giant helium balloons flowed through the streets of Manhattan, from the Upper West Side to Macy's flagship store on Broadway and 34th Street, pleasing enthusiastic on-lookers of all ages.

It was utter chaos and mayhem being a part of the masses and masses of people on the sidelines of this event. Having strategically placed myself to have the luxury of leaning against the railing of a subway station entry for the duration of the parade, I also had the best view in witnessing trainloads of families arrive at the stop, only to be stranded underground. The throngs of people above ground, prevented them from climbing the subway steps to ground level; there was physically nowhere for anyone to move to allow them through. Apparently, even the subway had to bypass this particular stop and go on to the next because of absolutely no space to let anymore people off the train. Talk about claustrophobia at its best... and to think this was only one corner of a route that went on for 2.5 miles.

This aspect of my parade morning alone will remind me to stay home for any forthcoming parade in this city, but at the same time, I'm glad I braved and survived the insane elements to surprisingly enjoy this truly unique New York experience in history and tradition. But if there is ever a reason that I have to forego my watching its live broadcast on TV and once again be a part of it in person, it will only be because I'll be marching my way through it! Marching bands have violinists, right? Darn. I think I picked the wrong instrument... I best find out if Turtle Bay offers lessons in trumpet.


The 81st annual Macy's Parade gets underway along Central Park West

Just one of many spectacular floats


One incredibly huge (and talented) marching band


One of America's most recognizable icons

My personal favorite!

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? In the Macy's Parade of course!


The Parade kept going and going...


The Incredible Hulk

No comments: