My Last Weekend as a Tourist

September 2, 2007

As many New Yorker's flocked to their beach-houses and summer cottages in The Hamptons for the Labour Day long weekend, I decided to devote the last few days of my summer 'vacation' to becoming a 'born-again tourist' if you will. So, before I begin what I came here to do, I spent the last few days pretending to be a first-time visitor to this city, jam-packing my days with visits to historic buildings, iconic structures and famous landmarks that are absolute must-sees. But more importantly, my daily jaunts provided me with ample opportunity to test my choice of appropriate Subway trains to get where I wanted to go... and not where I've already been when I had no intentions of ever going!

On the scheduled itinerary (for anyone that's traveled with me, you know I have a tendency to plan ahead so to speak, but don't worry, you'll be pleased to know that no oversized chart paper was pulled out to do so this time around!) was Carnegie Hall, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Grand Central Station, the United Nations, Madison Square Garden, the Chrysler Building, the Flatiron Building, even a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge... and either the bridge got much longer since the last time I walked it, or I am very cleary lacking in stamina. I also ventured downtown to Wall Street, to the Lower East Side for some gelato in Little Italy, and gave my tired and blistered feet a break in Washington Square Park - the heart of Greenwich Village... pfewpf! But as I was heading back to the apartment, I realized I had forgotten one thing... sure to be as breathtaking as the first time I saw it, the stunning Statue of Liberty! Darn. I suppose I'll just have to be a tourist again next weekend.



Carnegie Hall



St. Patrick's Cathedral



The Chrysler Building



On the Plaza of the United Nations Headquarters



The Main Concourse in Grand Central Terminal



The Flatiron Building



Manhattan Skyline from the Brooklyn Bridge



Trinity Church at the head of Wall Street



New York Stock Exchange



Washington Memorial Arch in Greenwich Village



Radio City Music Hall



Rockefeller Center Plaza

No comments: