Easing the Strains of Transition

September 3, 2007

Moving is a stressful process. Whether it's right around the corner, to the opposite end of the city, or in my case, to a different country, the most challenging obstacle in moving is finding a safe and comfortable place to live (and just as important, something you can afford!). This was by far the hardest part of the planning process in my getting here. Without having the opportunity to physically come here prior to my move to check out spaces firsthand, my search for a place to live was limited to online listings posted by tenants wishing to sublet a furnished room to people like me. It was no easy task in the slightest, particularly when only one response would flourish out of every 20 enquiries sent.

I lucked out eventually, after close to 3 months of searching, and am fortunate to be sharing a fantastic apartment in the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Though a largely residential area featuring fine brownstone row houses, the Upper West Side is bustling with many cultural institutions, including the American Museum of Natural History, the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, and the Columbus Square complex for Time Warner and CNN.

Originally from Rio, the lady I am living with has lived in NYC for over 20 years. Being a writer, she is very cultured in music and the arts, and also has a daughter close to my age, though currently living in South America... so we get along really well! She continually gives me pointers on what I should see, events to take in (and should try to apply my beyond expired Student ID to get a cheaper ticket), and even places I should try and avoid. She even has a dog, a very beautiful Sheltie named Nina whom I just love! My family unfortunately experienced the passing of our beloved Caesar this past February, so to be able to once again return home to the sight of an excited canine and hear the pitter patter of paws on hardwood floor, no doubt ignites familiar aspects of home.

So despite the stress I've experienced leading up to this drastic life change, particularly due to the fact that I was moving to a city wherein I knew absolutely no one, my feelings of being safe and comfortable in my newfound environment have definitely helped ease the strains of being so far away from my family and friends... that as well as the comforting voices of my Mom and Dad each night on the phone, reassuring me that I am not completely crazy for doing this!

The CNN/Time Warner Complex at Columbus Circle
The American Museum of Natural History The Plaza at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts

The Dakota Building - Former Beatle John Lennon, who once lived here, was assassinated just outside this building on December 8, 1980.

Strawberry Fields in Central Park - Yoko Ono's tribute to her late husband

Brownstone living in the Upper West Side

Riverside Park with views of the Hudson River (just a few blocks west from where I'm staying)

The oh-so-beautiful Nina

The apartment complex I'm calling 'home' for awhile

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey baby, baby girl....so, if Lucia offers you a writer's assistant positon and Nina blocks the doorway so that you can't leave, guess who will be the one(s)packing??

xoxoxoxo

p.s. a truly self-effacing Canadian, that's you....eh?? :o)

jillk said...

pam! it's so good to read about how you are doing! i am going through the exact same thing right now with the whole moving and adjusting so i totally get it! i can't wait to come visit you!