Monday Night Opera

September 24, 2007

One thing that is so great about this city is that no matter the month, day of the week or time of day, you can be certain that an event will be going on that is sure to please your interests and tastes, whatever they are. And as I've quickly come to learn, they rarely cost a thing! Except maybe your precious time in a city that doesn't skip a beat.

Monday nights are usually my nights to treat myself to a dance class on my way home from work, then crash in front of the TV for my weekly guilty pleasure of MTV's The Hills (It's okay, you can admit you like that mindless show too... I won't tell). Today however, I just didn't have the energy to commit to what I'm sure would have been another awesome hip hop class (like they've all been), so I decided to swing by Times Square instead.

Coming up from the subway I was surprised to find a true citywide celebration, complete with red carpet and all. At first I thought there was some famous celebrity signing autographs at the Virgin Megastore but I was wrong... Queen Latifah won't be there until Wednesday at noon. It was in fact the Metropolitan Opera literally stopping traffic in the center of New York, to broadcast on three Jumbotrons, the opening night performance of their 2007/08 season. Mary Zimmerman's new production Lucia di Lammermoor was beaming live to Times Square and Lincoln Center Plaza opera fans alike.

Broadway, normally a bustling sea of yellow taxi cabs, looked more like a theatre, with 1,500 seats set up for an audience who chose to forgo the purchase of a pricey $275 theatre ticket for a much more comfortable and exciting atmosphere. Playbill in hand, I took a seat, yes a free one, and enjoyed a little opera. Not bad for a little entertainment on a Monday night. Sure I may have missed out on my weekly dose of reality TV but I'll just check out the episode online tomorrow... er... maybe not... forgot I'm attending a (free) concert of international flavor in Central Park featuring three Grammy-nominated female artists! Man I love this city.

Live from the stage of The Met Opera couldn't be more accessible than this!Audience enjoying the Lincoln Center Plazacast

No comments: