September 16, 2007
I like Broadway musicals. No, I lied. I LOVE Broadway musicals. I don't know why exactly I love them so... perhaps it's the creative ingenuity that undermines the telling of a story through lyrics, dialogue, music, performance and dance, that never ceases to amaze me. True, the storylines can be sometimes far-fetched, jazz-hand-happy choreographers may at times go overboard with the spirit fingers and glitzy sequined costumes could be razzle-dazzled down a notch, but all that aside, the truly incredible jaw-dropping talent, energy and passion that Broadway performers exude to sold out houses night after night really is inspiring. Not to mention the artistic geniuses that fully enhance the Broadway experience with their spectacular staging, brilliant set design and powerfully moving, often-live music.
Even if you're not a self-proclaimed Broadway-addict like me, a visit to The Big Apple is not complete unless you indulge your senses in one of the most prestigious performance art forms in the country, that being New York theatre. In the heart of midtown Manhattan lies the 'Theatre District', whereby close to 40 theatres playing host to the country's best and most popular theatre productions, are clustered around Times Square, the so-called "Crossroads of the World." Blazing with a burst of gigantic advertisements, megastores, Jumbotrons, electronic tickers and hordes of people night and day, the lights really are brighter on Broadway.
Today I joined about 50,000 other theatre loving fans in Times Square for a sneak preview concert of this fall's new Broadway musicals. Broadway on Broadway is the theatre community's kick-off event for the upcoming season and also featured performances from some of Broadway's longest running favorites. From Wicked to The Color Purple, A Chorus Line to Mary Poppins, Chicago to Hairspray, and Rent to Jersey Boys, I was in Broadway heaven! Now comes the tough part of choosing which to take in first... I'd have to get a rush ticket to a matinee performance though... I am just an intern on a tight budget afterall.
See you at the theatre!
See you at the theatre!
"The Great White Way" that is Broadway
The heart of Times Square
Commercialism at its finest
Current star of Hairspray and former N'Sync-er, Lance Bass, played host for the show
Any event in Times Square wouldn't be complete without some confetti!

2 comments:
yikes....trust me to get my comment under the previous posting instead of today... :o( x many!
Post a Comment